Visa application

Short-stay Schengen visa (90 days or less)

If you want to visit the Netherlands for a maximum of 90 days you may need a short-stay Schengen visa. This depends on your nationality. The visa allows you to travel freely within the Netherlands and other Schengen countries within a 180-day period.

What is a short-stay visa / Schengen visa?

The short-stay visa is a Schengen visa. It allows you to stay in theĀ Schengen areaĀ for a maximum of 90 days within a 180-day period. Your visa will be valid for a specific period. This period may be shorter than 90 days. You can travel freely between the 26 Schengen countries while your visa is valid.

If you want to leave and re-enter the Schengen area within the 180-day period, choose the multiple-entry option when making your application.

Do I need a visa?

Whether or not you need a visa depends on things like your nationality, destination and length of stay. TheĀ Visa AdvisorĀ helps you determine whether you need a visa, and if so what type, in order to travel to or via the Netherlands.

If you have more than one nationality, the passport you travel on will determine whether you need a visa.

Visiting more than one Schengen country

If you want to visit more than one country in the Schengen Area, you should submit your application to the embassy or consulate of the Schengen country associated with your main purpose of travel. If your main purpose of travel is the same for more than one country, for example a holiday, submit your visa application to the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to stay in the longest.

If you plan to spend an equal amount of time in each Schengen country, submit your visa application to the embassy or consulate of the country you intend to visit first.

Orange Carpet Visa Facility

If you are a business traveller and travel to the Netherlands frequently, you or your employer may wish to use theĀ orange carpet visa facility. This saves time and money. Please note, not all embassies and consulates offer this facility.

Visa facilitation

If you have family living in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and plan to travel with them to or join them in a European country other than the one whose nationality they possess, you can apply for visa facilitation.Ā Read about the requirements here.

Residence permit stating you are a family member

If you hold a valid residence permit for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania or the United Kingdom and this residence permit states that you are a family member of a citizen of the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, you do not need a visa.

Applying for a visa

The rules forĀ applying for a visaĀ differ from country to country.